Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

I live in New York and my boyfriend of 15 years may die ...

I live in New York and my boyfriend of 15 years may die because of a car accident. Do I have any rights to sue even though we are not married?

Thanks for your question. Unfortunately you may not any rights here. Common Law marriage has been eliminated by statute. It is possible for the boyfriend to name you as beneficiary to life insurance or even bank accounts that would pass outside of probate.

He could also name you in a will as an heir. But under the law of intestacy(no will) you have no claim because of the common law situation. If he is able to do this before his demise then he can correct some of these things but otherwise I'm afraid that you are really limited here. The web page below gives the history of Common Law marriage in New York over the years.

My sympathy to your situation here. You may need to obtain a lawyer here. If the boyfriend is able I have done several bedside wills. It happens unfortunately as people procrastinate in thee matters...

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.