J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  21 years as a serious injury/wrongful death trial lawyer; nationally board certified; 43 jury trials
6118667

I HAVE BEEN ON SHORT TERM DISABILITY FOR FIVE MONTHS FROM

I HAVE BEEN ON SHORT TERM DISABILITY FOR FIVE MONTHS FROM MY COMPANY.I HAVE BEEN RECEIVING STD BENEFITS FROM THE HARTFORD INSURANCE COMPANY-I PAID ALL OF THE PREMIUMS FOR THIS COMPANY OFFERED STD.THE PERIOD OF SHORT TERM DISABILITY HAS BEEN FROM DECEMBER 26 THRU JUNE 16.MY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY WAS APRIL 30,2008.THE COMPANY HAS NOW REQUESTED THAT I APPLY RETROACTIVELY FOR FMLA FOR JANUARY,FEBRUARY,MARCH 2008.IS THIS LEGAL FOR THE COMPANY TO BE ASKING ME TO APPLY RETROACTIVELY FOR FMLA??
Expert:  J D Haas replied 8 years ago.
FMLA is a federal program that protects your job. Your employer must provide information to you on FMLA under certain circumstances. FMLA will not effect your continued disability payments under the policy. FMLA is a job protection program so that when you return from disability, your job is waiting for you. Your employer will face fines for no informing you of FMLA. FMLA is not a substitute program replacing your std. FMLA will not effect your disability payments. Good luck.

I hope that I have helped you, answered all of your questions,
and that I have provided you with useful information.
Please ask more questions if I have not answered all of your
questions.

In the future, if you would like to specifically ask me a question,
you can ask for me in the body of the question.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice,
it is merely information. The only way that I am legally
responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed
a written retainer agreement with my law firm.