rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.

I have a question, I am curious about pursuing a ...

I have a question, I am curious about pursuing a lawsuit for slander. That some people have made hurtful comments/rumours/messages to my image. I''m wondering what i need to pursue that, and if it''s worth the trouble.
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

You could sue for defamation and get an injunction preventing the same conduct in the future based on the following law of defamation:

1. The slander (oral defamation) or libel (written defamation) must be false. NOTE THAT IF YOU BRING A LAWSUIT...TRUTH OF THE STATEMENTS IS A DEFENSE THAT CAN BE USED BY THE DEFENDANT. 2. The false statements must cause you PROVABLE MONETARY DAMAGES...not hurt feelings but actual monetary damages that a jury can award you money for. For instance, you must prove that as a result of statements made, you were fired from a job, or were prevented from getting a job, lost a business deal. etc.

Slander or libel suits do NOT, however, require proof of these 'special' damages if the statements are defamatory ON THEIR FACE, that is, they FALSELY allege that a person:

1. Committed a crime.

2. Has a loathesome disease.

3. Is guilty of sexual misconduct. or

4. Is incompetent in business.

You will have to hire an attorney to bring a defamation of character lawsuit as a practical matter.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX checking on this so late.