How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31520
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was driving down aXXXXXand a truck in front ...

This answer was rated:

I was driving down aXXXXXand a truck in front of me all of a sudden slams on his brakes because a car was stopped in the left hand lane. I swerved to miss the truck in front of me and my boat that I was towing filpped over and was trashed. A man that was in the car that was parked in the left lane run to his car and just drove off. No vechiles were damaged. I need to no if the man that was parked in the left lane can be held responsible for the damage caused to my boat?

If you can find the guy (hopefully, a police report was conducted), and he was stopped in the lane of traffic, your insurance company should file a claim against his for payment on the boat under the tort theory of negligence per se. This legal theory is commonly known as the "but for" rule. The analysis is: but for this guy stopping in the lane of traffic, you would not have had to swerve and your boat would not have left the trailer and become totaled.

Stay on your insurance company to pay your claim. It has the right to subrogation against his insurance company if it chooses to pursue it.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you should get paid from your insurance company or the guys insurance company.

Roger and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
When I call my insurance company, they said that my boat wasn't covered. The police report should have the name of the person that was stopped. A witness that had stopped to help me also knows the person that was stopped. Would it be advisable to contact an attorney in the local area?