Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

What states in the usa will not extradite someone for ...

Customer Question

What states in the usa will not extradite someone for non- payment of alimony. The states I want to know about are Tx, Nc TN, KY, Ga, Ca and all others that will not extradite for this civil matter?
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.

If a Bench Warrant was issued for child support, the warrant is only good within the state. For instance, you can't be arrested in Florida for a Georgia bench warrant.

However, if a Felony Warrant was issued, you can be arrested and extradited from any state in the union to any state. There are no protections agaisnt this.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was asking about alimony not child support. I thought all states cooperated in child support matters but I was really interested in the non payment of alimony.
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.

I knew you asked about alimony, I've just got child support on the brain. Sorry for any confusion.

My advice remains the same. If a Bench Warrant is issued, the warrant is only good within the state. If a Felony Warrant was issued, you can be arrested and extradited from any state in the union to any state.

You're right that courts are not very likely to hunt you down for alimony like they will child support. However, if a felony warrant is issued, you'r fair game anywhere in the US.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Are you sure about child support. I thought child support was a federal issue.
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.
No. Child support is a state court action rendered by the laws of each state. In fact, each state has its own child support guidelines which are different in some capacity than any other state.