Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

What are the penalties for driving under suspension in ohio

No Comment Added
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.

Driving while your license is suspended is a serious violation in Ohio. As a first degree misdemeanor, you face up to 6 months in jail and a $1,000 fine, in addition to specific driving under suspension (DUS) penalties. As stated below [emphasis added]

On a first or second conviction for DUS, your car will be immobilized for 30 or 60 days. On a 3rd or subsequent conviction, the court will order a criminal forfeiture of your car to the State. It should be noted that the immobilization and forfeiture provisions are generally only applicable if the car you were driving is registered in your name. However, driving someone else's car while under suspension could expose that person to criminal liability for permitting you to drive (wrongful entrustment), which exposes them to immobilization and/or forfeiture penalties under a separate statute. [courtesy Reynards law office]

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.