JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Attorney in practice since 1996
2990824

what is the penalty for the theft by conversion

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 6 years ago.

Hi Timot:

In the Georgia Code, Theft by Conversion is defined in § 16-8-4. It provides that "[a] person commits the offense of theft by conversion when, having lawfully obtained funds or other property of another including, but not limited to, leased or rented personal property, under an agreement or other known legal obligation to make a specified application of such funds or a specified disposition of such property, he knowingly converts the funds or property to his own use in violation of the agreement or legal obligation. This Code section applies whether the application or disposition is to be made from the funds or property of another or from the accused's own funds or property in equivalent amount when the agreement contemplates that the accused may deal with the funds or property of another as his own."

The code section does not say what type of crime theft by conversion is, and § 16-1-10 provides that "[a]ny conduct that is made criminal by this title or by another statute of this state and for which punishment is not otherwise provided, shall be punished as for a misdemeanor."

Therefore, theft by conversion is a misdemeanor. Theft crimes except shoplifting are punished as a misdemeanor if property value is less than $500 (with exceptions). If the value of the items is more than $500, then 1 to 10 years in prison is the punishment.

I hope this helps and a positive feedback is always appreciated if this was useful to you.

LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. Joseph Ross does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) Joseph Ross. All rights reserved.

JoeLawyer, Lawyer (JD)
Experience: Attorney in practice since 1996
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yeah but if im infront of the judge can i just say that im willing to pay the said amount
Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 6 years ago.

Often the defendant and the prosecutor can negotiate terms to resolve a criminal proceeding. Many defendants discuss settlement terms with the prosecutor, and once terms are reached, those terms are given to the judge. If the defendant asks the judge if some settlement is acceptable, such as paying back $x.xx, and the prosecutor does not agree with those terms, then the prosecutor may object and then who knows what the judge will say. If the defendant and prosecutor are on the same page going in, it is usually much smoother and there is more certainty as to the outcome.

Joe