Ask NO LEGAL ADVICE WAS GIVEN BY ME Your...
NO LEGAL ADVICE  WAS GIVEN BY ME
NO LEGAL ADVICE WAS GIVEN BY ME, N/A
Experience:  All information given by me was for ENTERNTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY -No legal Advice was provided.
9218860

Ive lost my juror summons. I know Im

Customer Question

I''ve lost my juror summons. I know I''m supposed to report tomorrow -- I put it on my calendar -- but I have no idea where, or when. What to do?
Expert:  NO LEGAL ADVICE WAS GIVEN BY ME replied 8 years ago.
The courts are aware this happens. You won't get anybody live to speak to until 8:00 AM Monday morning. Simply look up the Courthouse and look for the number for Jurors to call. They will be more than happy to assist you, as you are doing your duty as a citizen. If you do not know the courthouse, any California court can check where and what time through their computer. you may have to give your name, and possibly some personal information. Just make sure you call early, 8:01 AM and you will get the information you need.

Your Just Answer Expert,

VRJ

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The problem is that assuming they tell me where I have to report, I'll still be late, right? And if that happens, won't I be fined or otherwise penalized?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
And if I will be penalized for being late, that gets me back to the original question of what I can do NOW. Am I just screwed? Or when you say that courts are aware this happens, do you mean I won't be penalized if I call promptly at 8:00 a.m. and then go wherever they tell me to go?
No, it does not mean that. If you do what I suggest, you have made a reasonable attempt to fulfill your duty, and you have done so by calling in early. Rarely does a trial begin before 9:00 AM. and also, you are only being called into wait, basically. They put together a huge jury pool, then separate them into groups. If you are late, you would be moved to a later group. The problems arise when you are late for trial. The judge can fine you, since that upsets the timing of that day's trial.

You may have to wait for a long time, the whole day, or 2, and you may never even be picked for a trial. That's California's court system. You won't be fined or penalized for being late the first day. You may be assigned to a trial, but that can't happen until everybody is accounted for, and trust me, many will fail to even show up. Those are the one's who can get in trouble. To answer your last post, no you will not be penalized. Just call in early, 8:00 AM sharp, and you'll be instructed as to what to do. You can ask then too if you be penalized. They will say no.

Your Just Answer Expert,

VRJ