KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney
Experience:  10 years of legal experience in various fields of law.
8989662

How much money can you make a month and still

Customer Question

How much money can you make a month and still qualify for Medical. I have Parkinson''s and various other problems. I can''t dress my self, cook for myself have to have help with catherization etc. I''m on a walker and have a power chair but can''t drive myself or put my power chair in the van. Please advise.
Expert:  legaleagle replied 6 years ago.
Do you mean Medicaid?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In California, Medical takes the place of Medicaid. I believe it is the same things. The question still applies.
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 6 years ago.

Yes, you are correct. Medi-Cal is the California name for the federal Medicaid program. Medi-Cal provides health coverage to people with low income and asset levels who meet certain eligibility requirements. Many people receive both Medicare and Medi-Cal. Both programs help pay for medical care.

You may be eligible for Medi-Cal benefits if you are 65 years or older. If you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you will get Medi-Cal benefits automatically. If you don't receive SSI, you can still qualify for Medi-Cal as long as your income and assets are under certain amounts (see below).

You can also find detailed information on Medi-Cal eligibility at http://www.healthconsumer.org/.

To qualify for SSI, your monthly income and assets cannot exceed certain limits. In 2008 (April 1, 2008 - March 31, 2009), your monthly income cannot exceed $870 for an individual or $1,524 for a married couple. You can have up to $2,000 in assets as an individual or $3,000 in assets as a couple. These numbers change every year on April 1st.

The assets remain the same: $2,000 for an individual, and $3,000 for a couple.

Some of your personal assets - such as your home, personal belongings, and one car used for transportation - are not considered when determining whether you can get Medi-Cal coverage.

California law also allows those whose incomes are above the SSI limits to qualify for full Medi-Cal coverage under a plan called the Aged and Disabled Federal Poverty Level program. These limits also change April 1st of each year.

To qualify, a single person's monthly income must not exceed $1,097 and assets must be at or below $2,000. For married couples, the monthly income limit is $1,524 and the assets limit is at or below $3,000. Note: the SSI and A&D-FPL income amounts for couples will go up to $1,558 in June 2008.

These monthly income limits do not include a $20 disregard - an amount of additional income that does not count towards your monthly income limit.

Your home, personal belongings, and one car used for transportation are not counted as assets.

I hope this answer was helpful for you. Best of luck to you and take care.

Kimberly

KimberlyLaw, Attorney
Experience: 10 years of legal experience in various fields of law.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a lot.

Great I am happy to help. Good luck to you.

Kimberly