LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

THis is rather complicated but simple I was married to a ...

Customer Question

THis is rather complicated but simple = I was married to a man in Louisiana for several years and I left him. I was told a few months later he had divorced me as he did not know where I was. After learning of this I married a gentleman in Texas. He died in October of 2006, my husband from Texas. I was named beneficiary of his life insurance. I have since learned the divorce never happened with my husband in Louisiana, the information was given to me by his new live in girl friend of that time (2001). Am I guilty of bigomy? Next question is this, my best friend n her husband borrowed $10,000 from me when I recieved the life insurance, but now they say they owe me nothing as I recieved the insurance fraudently....I disagree as I at the time of my marriage to the gentleman in Texas, I thought I was legally divorced. Also, I gave them a personal check for $500 as a loan to them, and asked them NOT to deposit it until I told them funds were available. They did not do this.
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance.

1. Unfortunately, under the facts you have related this does amount to bigamy.
  2. If the $10,000 was a gift it cannot be revoked. The money is gone, sad to say.
  3. To be a loan your agreement must be signed and in writing to be enforceable.
  4. I wish I had more encouraging news, but this is the law under these facts.

If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq.'s Post: So I have broken the law. What do I do?
The $10,000 was no gift. They told me they would repay me, and knew it was a loan. But now they want to use my legal issue as a means to NOT repay me.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This not help me in the least as I need to know what to make this right and face my obligations. I sent another question to ask this and have yet to get a response. I do not feel this helps....
Tammy Chapman