LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

My ex-wife (divorced since Oct, 2007) continues to ...

My ex-wife (divorced since Oct, 2007) continues to telephone me asking for money and saying derogotory things to me. Last week, she called my secretary at work and spent about 10 minutes trashing me to her. What can I do? Can I get a restraining order to keep her from calling me or my work place and to stop her harassment?
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance.

1. In Ohio, a Civil Harassment Restraining Order is used in situations other than domestic violence. This Restraining Order is a civil order and is used for stopping harassment and annoyances by neighbors, roommates, and co-workers. These restraining orders are issued to prevent the restrained person from engaging in a number of behaviors, which can be grouped into three general categories:

2. Annoying, harassing, striking, following, or disturbing the peace of the protected person(s);

3. Having direct or indirect, personal, telephonic, electronic, or written contact with the protected person(s); or

4. Coming within 100 yards of the protected person(s) - place of work, residence, or school.

5. Based on the facts you have related, this would certainly seem to be an appropriate course of action for you to pursue.

If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.