rvlaw
rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.
3071004

I have a contrac with a gym. I no longer go due

I have a contrac with a gym. I no longer go due to the fact the way they treated my son. They will not cancel my contrac. When he joined they only had two year contrac he went from June of 07 to October of 07. Aftrer numorus attemps to cancel the contrac the owner refues to do so. So iam paying for a membership that will never be used. What can i do if he does not cancle. The member ship is $69.00 a month and is colleted by Electronic Transfer.
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

You don't have a right to cancel the contract unless it provides for it in a situation like yours. If you contact the source of the electronic transfer and instruct them not to continue you may be sued by the gym. Moreover, sometimes the credit card/bank won't take that instruction and will require you to close the account altogether and have a new card issued or bank account opened.

Rich

This is information only, NOT legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been created. Consult an attorney in your state for legal advice regarding your issue.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So how can this be resolved or iam i stuck with this payment for the next two years?
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

Other than negotiating with the gym, as I said, you are legally obligated per the contract. Suggestion: sell the membership to another if allowed in the agreement.

Rich