Michelle
Michelle, Paralegal
Experience:  31 years of experience in criminal, real estate, juvenile and family law
3273316

I would like Michelle to handle this. Can you contact me ...

I would like Michelle to handle this. Can you contact me when she becomes available?
I will send her a note and a link to this question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: you have not given me a field where I can post my question to her?
You cannot post a question until Michelle replies to you. I sent her a private email that you are looking for her. You will need to wait until she replies back to you.

Dear Customer

Thanks for your patience - How can I assist you?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
just got back home - are you there

Dear Customer

Yes.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
did you read question

Dear Customer

There is no question posted here.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
MIchelle - question is regarding sixteen year old in Dss custody pursuant to Mother dying - wanting to go before court and request to be emancipated. I have read where child movie stars have done so re their parents - why should it not be possible for sixteen year old to seek emancipation to get DSS out of her life. What is the criteria?

Dear Customer

Many states do not allow for minor emancipation. South Carolina law does not provide for emancipation you can consult with a local attorney who can tell you whether due to the death of her Mother and no other parent or family emancipation would be available to her.

In order for there to be a success at the emancipation effort, she would need to show that she is working and has a way to support herself financially as well as provide for her own health care.

And it is ironic that SC touts itself as a family state - with their stance on non-emancipation; yet, if she were pregnant and wanted to get married, she could and then she would be emancipated.

If there is someone she could live with who would file for guardianship that would be an option

Michelle, Paralegal
Experience: 31 years of experience in criminal, real estate, juvenile and family law
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
guess that about covers it - I can't, at this point, see any loopholes to exploit. The financial support would be in place guaranteed by her Godfather and myself, Job situation is moot as she is still in igh scool and woul need to continue studies. All that we could assure the court is that we are willing to porovide financial (to eliiminate need for job) security as well as emotional support' Nedical coverage would also be born by us. We just want to get her away from that "orphanage environmen" - give her a sense of belonging to a family and support her in any other respect for the nex5t year and a half when she attains her 18th birthday. Any ideas?

Dear Customer

Yes. You should go to the Clerk of the Court and ask for form to file for Guardianship. If you are her family and can show the court that you have a good family and homelife to present you could more than likely get the guardianship. The court would much rather have a child wth family than in a foster home.

You asked about emancipation - that is living on her own. But if she could live with you - and you take responsibility for her until she is 18, that would work.

I should have been more clear and I apologize.

Michelle, Paralegal