rvlaw
rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.
3071004

Am I allowed to live out my security deposit at the end of my lease.

No Comment Added
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

While it is done by tenants frequently, it is not permitted per the lease or the month to month tenancy. The security is solely to be used by the landlord for damages to the premises .... if you do not return them to the landlord in the same condition you received it, except for reasonable wear and tear.

Rich

This is information only, NOT legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been created. Consult an attorney in your state for legal advice regarding your issue.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to rvlaw's Post: If I choose to live out my security what can my landlord do
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

He can sue for the amount of your security that he decides he would have retained from it for damages to the premises (reasonable wear and tear excepted) when you vacate.

Rich