Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

Can my landlord raise my rent by 400 dollars over the next ...

Can my landlord raise my rent by 400 dollars over the next 2 years. The plan is to go from 800 to 1200 in $100 increments every six months. Is this too high a percentage increase?
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Yes, the landlord can raise the rent any amount so long as he provides notice equivalent to the term of your lease.

For example if you are a month to month tenant, the landlord must provide 30 days notice before the rent is increased. If you hold a one-year lease then notice is 60 days.

Only rent controlled areas have a percentage limit of increase or no increase. Florida however is not a rent controlled state.

Notice periods in a nutshell for Florida:

Rent pay period ---- Necessary Notice

week to week ---- seven days notice

month to month ---- fifteen days notice

quarter to quarter ---- thirty days notice

year to year ---- Sixty days notice

A landlord however cannot increase the rent in retaliation against any claims that you may have asserted about the property. If this is the case, then you can sue him for retaliatory conduct (section 83.64).

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.