How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rvlaw Your Own Question
rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8386
Experience:  NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
rvlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi, i need to know what to do about a person that ...

Resolved Question:

hi, i need to know what to do about a person that tells my 13 year old daughter and others that I was a prostitute and had a nigar pimp this is so untrue and wrong this person also comitted assault on me
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  rvlaw replied 9 years ago.


You can have the person arrested for the assault and battery.

You could sue for defamation and get an injunction against the individual.

Here is the law on defamation:

1. The slander (oral defamation) or libel (written defamation) must be false. NOTE THAT IF YOU BRING A LAWSUIT...TRUTH OF THE STATEMENTS IS A DEFENSE THAT CAN BE USED BY THE DEFENDANT. 2. The false statements must cause you PROVABLE MONETARY DAMAGES...not hurt feelings but actual monetary damages that a jury can award you money for. For instance, you must prove that as a result of statements made, you were fired from a job, or were prevented from getting a job, lost a business deal. etc.

Slander or libel suits do NOT, however, require proof of these 'special' damages if the statements are defamatory ON THEIR FACE, that is, they FALSELY allege that a person:

1. Committed a crime.

2. Has a loathesome disease.

3. Is guilty of sexual misconduct. or

4. Is incompetent in business.

You will have to hire an attorney to bring a defamation of character lawsuit as a practical matter.


This is information only, NOT legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been created. Consult an attorney in your state for legal advice regarding


rvlaw and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions