Leslie D.
Leslie D., Attorney
Experience:  Five years of experience in private practice. Experience in family law and civil litigation.

courts expert issued reports of Parenting coordinator ...

Customer Question

courts expert issued reports of Parenting coordinator on day of trial judge adopted Parenting coordinator report awarding sole custody and determining visitation. is this legal will it stand on appeal?
Expert:  Leslie D. replied 6 years ago.

A judge can adopt the report and recommendation of a court expert. You can appeal the decision and make arguments rebutting the report and its recommendation for custody and visitation. However, there is no guarantee that the decision will be overturned.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If this answers your question, please click "accept" so I may receive credit for my answer.

Thanks,

Leslie

Leslie D., Attorney
Experience: Five years of experience in private practice. Experience in family law and civil litigation.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OS43 120.1-120.6 Parenting coordinator cannot set custody or visitation. Is this relavent?
Expert:  Leslie D. replied 6 years ago.

It is relevant to the extent that a parenting coordinator cannot set custody and visitation on its own, without approval from the court. However, the court can adopt a parenting coordinator's recommendations, should it choose to do so.

Oklahoma Statutes Chapter 43 section 120.4 further provides:

A. A report of the decisions and recommendations made by the parenting coordinator shall be filed with the court within twenty (20) days, with copies of the report provided to the parties or their counsel. There shall be no ex parte communication with the court.

B. Any decisions made by the parenting coordinator authorized by the court order and issued pursuant to the provisions of the Parenting Coordinator Act shall be binding on the parties until further order of the court.

C. 1. Any party may file with the court and serve on the parenting coordinator and all other parties an objection to the parenting coordinator's report within ten (10) days after the parenting coordinator provides the report to the parties, or within another time as the court may direct.

2. Responses to the objections shall be filed with the court and served on the parenting coordinator and all other parties within ten (10) days after the objection is served.

D. The court shall review any objections to the report and any responses submitted to those objections to the report and shall thereafter enter appropriate orders