LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

Hi, i have two attorneys that failed to uphold their legal ...

Hi, i have two attorneys that failed to uphold their legal ethics on a project i was involved in. One by his own admission was working both sides of the fence at the same time without permission and the other failed to file papers on time resulting in our loss of a 1.6 million dollar court proceeding. I have bills showing that the former billed boath sides for work on the same day and gave the oposing side advise on how to foreclose and how to set up recieving companies. The latter called three times so drunk he was slurring his works and used profanity when conversing with my wife. These matters were related. The former attorney recomended the second atorney then backed him up when i voiced reservations. Were they setting me up to fail? What do i do first? Will any one take these cases on a contingy basis? Thank you for your help in the past this is an ongoing nightmare and i am about to give up and give in.
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance.

1. First of all, please allow me to say that I am truly sorry that you have had such negative experiences. Needless to say, this is not what we lawyers like to hear.
  2. You have two potential important issues here. The first is damages for legal malpractice based upon a case of action for negligence. The second is addressing professional responsibility concerns based on conflict of interest, professional misconduct, impairment, etc.
  3. I am a licensed attorney and have also taught numerous sessions of ethics courses. If you would write back and supply the name of your jurisdiction (state) I will be glad to provide you with additional (and more specific) information.

If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your interest in my delima. I live in Roseburg Oregon.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
If i continue the question will i get the same legal expert to answer it? I need the more detailed answer that he mentioned. Do i need to put it into another question?

Hello again and thanks for writing back. Based upon the additional facts you have supplied, I have some further information for you to consider.

1. You have been through some pretty rough waters here to say the very least. I would start by contact the Oregon State Bar. This is not called for in every instance of dissatisfaction with an attorney, but what you have described clearly goes way beyond mere dissatisfaction. I would start by going here to learn about the ethical standards to which Oregon lawyers are held and the protections available to the public. These include disciplinary proceedings and a client security fund.
  2. Next I would suggest that you contact the office of each attorney and secure a copy of your entire file. If you encounter resistance, here and here are excellent overviews of recent Oregon law in this regard including exactly what you are entitled to, who pays for costs, etc.
  3. Finally I would contact and interview two or three plaintiffs' trial lawyers who specialize in litigating legal malpractice cases. If will cost you nothing but a little time to have a few free no-obligation initial consultations. This is a very specialized area of the law and obviously not every lawyer is willing or well qualified to take on their own colleagues. You could start your search here by contact the Oregon State Bar Lawyer Referral Service. You can also go here to contact the Oregon Trial Lawyers Association, which is composed of plaintiffs' counsel.

I hope that things gets resolved for you. Regards XXXXX XXXXX for using Just Answer™.