LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

I have a child on crutches whos going on a ...

Customer Question

I have a child on crutches who''s going on a trip, the school is not wanting him to go do to him being on crutches, This a extra trip earned by students who do safety partol for two years, Luke had a bike wreck and is cleared by the doctor to go. Is there a way the school can not allow him to go because of crutches?
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance.

1. I commend you for your interest in your son, and congratulations to him on serving as safety patrol for two years and winning this honor!
  2. Start by approaching the school directly and ascertaining their reasons. You might be able to educate them and allay their fears (i.e. explain how crutches work).
  3. If they are resistant, you might point out how ironic (and rather ridiculous) it is to bar your son (on safety patrol) when he is using crutches to be safe.
  4. If they still persist, I would mention that you son has a temporary physical disability, he is a member of a legally protected class, and that the public school must make reasonable accommodations.
  5. If they question your authority, you might cite Selection 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA).

If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They are trying to say because of it being extra activite that he may not keep up.In Washington D.C. I asked to go and they said no parents allowed to go. principal also said to him u must be off your crutches by Friday to go on the trip.They said if he can't keep up then I would have to fly him home from D.c if they let him go.

Hello again and thanks for writing back. I am very pleased to have been of help.

This is your child. You can accompany him on the trip if you want to. You will have to pay your own pay and make your own accommodations for travel and lodging, etc. But the school can't prevent you from traveling to D.C. I do hope that all works out.

Take care and thanks again for choosing Just Answer™!