LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

I have a minor child, 14, who has been carged with a lude ...

Customer Question

I have a minor child, 14, who has been carged with a lude and lastivuse fellony (sorry cant spell). his public defender will not discuss the case with me. She said she can only talk with my son. My son has many issues, mostly that he has the mind of about a 8 year old. we are working on trying to have him incompatent. but we know none of the facts of this case. I feel with me being his mother and him being a mionr, she should have to talk to us about this case. but she wont. she will only talk to him, but she wont talk to him becase she belives he is incompatent. I guess my question is with him being a mionor and me being his mother, dont she have to tell me everything (of course he would be there too)? Her exatct words were. she can disscuss the compancey issues with me, but she is not able to disscuss the facts of the case with anyone but him. Is this leagle????Please help me undersatnd. thank you for your time
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance.

1. I commend you for being concern for your son, and I truly hope that the case gets resolved in good fashion.
  2. Yes, what the attorney is doing is indeed legal, although I can certainly understand how difficult your position is in this.
  3. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that the attorney is entrusted with the tactics of the case and has the discretion to act as she sees fit.
  4. Also, the lawyer has a very legitimate concern about jeopardizing the legal confidentiality mechanism known as the attorney-client privilege.
  5. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that counsel has a duty to zealously represent their client, even against the interests of any other party including parents.

If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I thank you for your time. You did give me some answers. But I guess what im realling trying to understand is, arent I also the lawyers client, due to the fact my son is a minor child? This is not what Im getting.He is a minor, I am resopnsable for him, why am I not as equel as him as a client? I know she is a public deffender, but If I went and hired a lawyer, wouldn't he be working for me? there for I would be there to hear everything! Sorry this just so gets to me. Let me know if you can explain this bettter to me. Thank you again.