Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, International HR Consultant
Experience:  GPHR cer BS, U.S.C. Pueblo; Immigration Law by Am. Mngmnt Association & USCIS Bus. Liaison ofc 1999

my roomate left 5days after signing a 6month lease.can ...

Customer Question

my roomate left 5days after signing a 6month lease.can i sue. his intention signing the lease was to pay half 4 6months
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

yes, you can sue him. However, I can not gaurantee you will win. Here are your issues with this kind of case:

1. Does your lease allow you to sublet to a roommate or other person? If not, then this would be in violation of your original lease, and the court may not honor your agreement.

2. If this was a signed lease, what does it say about notice? If the lease contains no notice, then it is defualted to two weeks notice or period of the lease payment.

IN my opinion, you most likely would be able to recover at least one months rent, proivded the sublet was authorized by your lease.