Michelle
Michelle, Paralegal
Experience:  31 years of experience in criminal, real estate, juvenile and family law
3273316

Im a Professional Poker Dealer in a Casino in

I''m a Professional Poker Dealer in a Casino in northern California, my questions is about "Tournaments". Where I work they have tournaments five days a week, from 9:30 in the morning to around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. My shift is all tournament, sunday through thursdays which I have worked for three years and I deal about 60 tables a month. I would like to know the legal laws on tournaments.
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

Dear Customer

My research does not show that there are rules and regualtions pertaining to what hours or how many a day, week, month or year tournaments can be active. I have reviewed the Tribal State Gaming Compact - HERE which has been codified in the CA Code HERE

It seems the rules and regulations as to games played, etc are the responsibility of the Tribal Gaming Agency - HERE and the National Indian Gaming Commission - HERE

It appears, as long as the "fees" are paid appropriately and the casino is in compliance otherwise, there are no restrictions on tournament play. However, I suggest, you might contact one of the above agencies for a list of approved gaming activities - as I cannot locate that online for you.

Sec. 4.3.2.3. The Tribe shall not conduct any Gaming Activity authorized by this Compact if the Tribe is more than two quarterly contributions in arrears in its license fee payments to the Revenue Sharing Trust Fund.

Best to you,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there any information about how much a Professional Poker Dealer should make when dealing a table...(ex:$18.00 per table)

And, Is there any regulations about the pay structure of a poker dealer dealing tournaments?
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

Dear Customer

I have not seen anything of that nature in my research - I suggest you contact the Gambling Agency and see if they have wage guidelines - separate and apart from State law which, of course is at least minimum wage, with time and a half for anything over 40 hour weeks and basically leaves higher salaries and promotions to the individual businesses. There is nothing on tournaments, at all. There is nothing on types of games, other than Class I,II and III games as defined in the US CODE (below). The Gaming Commission makes all the regulations.

(1) The term "Attorney General" means the Attorney General of the United States. (2) The term "Chairman" means the Chairman of the National Indian Gaming Commission. (3) The term "Commission" means the National Indian Gaming Commission established pursuant to section 2704 of this title. (4) The term "Indian lands" means- (A) all lands within the limits of any Indian reservation; and (B) any lands title to which is either held in trust by the United States for the benefit of any Indian tribe or individual or held by any Indian tribe or individual subject to restriction by the United States against alienation and over which an Indian tribe exercises governmental power. (5) The term "Indian tribe" means any Indian tribe, band, nation, or other organized group or community of Indians which- (A) is recognized as eligible by the Secretary for the special programs and services provided by the United States to Indians because of their status as Indians, and (B) is recognized as possessing powers of self-government. (6) The term "class I gaming" means social games solely for prizes of minimal value or traditional forms of Indian gaming engaged in by individuals as a part of, or in connection with, tribal ceremonies or celebrations. (7) (A) The term "class II gaming" means- (i) the game of chance commonly known as bingo (whether or not electronic, computer, or other technologic aids are used in connection therewith)- (I) which is played for prizes, including monetary prizes, with cards bearing numbers or other designations, (II) in which the holder of the card covers such numbers or designations when objects, similarly numbered or designated, are drawn or electronically determined, and (III) in which the game is won by the first person covering a previously designated arrangement of numbers or designations on such cards, including (if played in the same location) pull-tabs, lotto, punch boards, tip jars, instant bingo, and other games similar to bingo, and (ii) card games that- (I) are explicitly authorized by the laws of the State, or (II) are not explicitly prohibited by the laws of the State and are played at any location in the State, but only if such card games are played in conformity with those laws and regulations (if any) of the State regarding hours or periods of operation of such card games or limitations on wagers or pot sizes in such card games. (B) The term "class II gaming" does not include- (i) any banking card games, including baccarat, chemin de fer, or blackjack (21), or (ii) electronic or electromechanical facsimiles of any game of chance or slot machines of any kind. (C) Notwithstanding any other provision of this paragraph, the term "class II gaming" includes those card games played in the State of Michigan, the State of North Dakota, the State of South Dakota, or the State of Washington, that were actually operated in such State by an Indian tribe on or before May 1, 1988, but only to the extent of the nature and scope of the card games that were actually operated by an Indian tribe in such State on or before such date, as determined by the Chairman. (D) Notwithstanding any other provision of this paragraph, the term "class II gaming" includes, during the 1-year period beginning on October 17, 1988, any gaming described in subparagraph (B)(ii) that was legally operated on Indian lands on or before May 1, 1988, if the Indian tribe having jurisdiction over the lands on which such gaming was operated requests the State, by no later than the date that is 30 days after October 17, 1988, to negotiate a Tribal-State compact under section 2710 (d)(3) of this title. (E) Notwithstanding any other provision of this paragraph, the term "class II gaming" includes, during the 1-year period beginning on December 17, 1991, any gaming described in subparagraph (B)(ii) that was legally operated on Indian lands in the State of Wisconsin on or before May 1, 1988, if the Indian tribe having jurisdiction over the lands on which such gaming was operated requested the State, by no later than November 16, 1988, to negotiate a Tribal-State compact under section 2710 (d)(3) of this title. (F) If, during the 1-year period described in subparagraph (E), there is a final judicial determination that the gaming described in subparagraph (E) is not legal as a matter of State law, then such gaming on such Indian land shall cease to operate on the date next following the date of such judicial decision. (8) The term "class III gaming" means all forms of gaming that are not class I gaming or class II gaming. (9) The term "net revenues" means gross revenues of an Indian gaming activity less amounts paid out as, or paid for, prizes and total operating expenses, excluding management fees. (10) The term "Secretary" means the Secretary of the Interior.

I wish there was more information on line - but this is it.

Michelle, Paralegal
Experience: 31 years of experience in criminal, real estate, juvenile and family law