Ask NO LEGAL ADVICE WAS GIVEN BY ME Your...

NO LEGAL ADVICE  WAS GIVEN BY ME
NO LEGAL ADVICE WAS GIVEN BY ME, N/A
Experience:  All information given by me was for ENTERNTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY -No legal Advice was provided.

Can I grab another sites content and put it on my own site?

Customer Question

Much like Google does, I created a ''spider'' that collected content automatically from another site (it would be impossible to do it any other way, i.e. manually) and now I list the title and a couple of lines from the articles, with a link to the source site if the user of my site would like to read more. Am I working under the auspices of Fair Use?
Expert:  NO LEGAL ADVICE WAS GIVEN BY ME replied 6 years ago.
Yes, but Google does not single out one site. Google also does not crawl sites that have a no robot tag in the HTML. So I think your argument, although creative, will not hold up. You would be violating copyright laws.

© 2008 Just Answer Corp.

This is on the bottom of the page, and is telling you who owns the content.

Have you thought about asking for permission to put this information on your site? That's truly the only legal way.

Your Just Answer Expert,

VRJ

NO LEGAL ADVICE WAS GIVEN BY ME, N/A
Experience: All information given by me was for ENTERNTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY -No legal Advice was provided.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Although I understand your answer isn't meant to cover in detail the full scope of copyright law, the implication you suggest in your answer is that if I were to crawl more than one particular site and follow any robots.txt file, I would not be violating copyrights? (I actually crawl about 20 sites in a niche - my site is being marketed as a search engine for articles in that niche - so the funcionality is very much like google)

More generally speaking, under whatever principles can Google/Yahoo/MSN/Ask and all the other search engines do what they do without asking for permission of all the site owners out there? The robots file would suggest that every site gives permission to be crawled by default except when blocked by the robots.
That is a good question, however, you are now going beyond the scope of my knowledge of Intellectual Property law. You have to remember, the law is changing every day, and really still is considered in its infancy. I can only say that you are still singling out specific sites, and they will know that. Google will argue in court that they treat all sites equally. You and I both know that not to be true. However, the argument holds up for Google/Yahoo etc. because they are not singling out a sector, their robots crawl the entire web.

If you want to test the waters of the law, I would not stop you. I can only tell you my opinion of what may happen, or if I believe what you are trying to do is considered legal in mind. A entrepreneur with a high tolerance for risk, do not always listen to some one's interpretation of the law, and are willing to take the risk, or factor in lawsuits, as a cost of doing business. Google is guilty of copyright violation everyday since it owns youtube. I don't even want to know how much Microsoft budgets for ant-trust lawsuits. It gets complicated, as you can tell. It now becomes a question of hoe much of a risk taker are you, and how much can you afford to lose.

Your Just Answer Expert,

VRJ