LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

Hello, My brother (52) was hospitalized on 4/15/08 ...

Customer Question

Hello, My brother (52) was hospitalized on 4/15/08 with a bleed on his brain, had a stroke, is paralyzed on rt side, does not follow verbal command, he is very much out there. He''s on oxygen, has a tracheotomy, and has chronic lung/liver disease. Doctors say healing will take time, weeks if not months, and that we have to be patient, as his condition is serious. His wife can not find help with legal matters, in obtaining legal papers putting her in charge of all his legal matters as they had no living will prior to his stroke. Lawyers want $1,500/$2,000 which they do not have. See they take in $1,100 a month and there''s is a family of 5. Is this not below poverty? What she (we) need is help (pro bono/legal aid)? Something so she can get him on (s.s. disability, medicaid, medicare , ssi)? Financial aid for medical bills. Unemployment reinstated as he only to collect 6 months after 8yrs with the same company. (he was layed off) Who/where/how can we find free legal help asap. Thx. Peggie
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance.

1. I am truly sorry to hear about your brother. I wish him and your family the best.
  2. With no prior health care power of attorney in place she needs a guardianship.
  3. Depending on the jurisdiction, this may also be known as a conservatorship.
  4. This would enable her to take care of business. I can also address legal help.
  5. If you will please write back with the county and state I will be glad to help out.

If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Columbia county, fla

Hello again and thanks for writing back. I will gladly offer some additional information.

1. I realize that legal costs are substantial, but it would be ideal if your mother could consult a local licensed attorney with experience in such matters. One idea is that she could obtain a half-hour consultation for $25 through the Florida Bar Lawyer Referral Service. This would at least be a good start to get some practical guidance. Another important service to contact would be Florida Legal Aid, which would be Three Rivers Legal Services for Columbia County. Your mother's limited financial resources, coupled with the nature of the legal matter (guardianship) would make legal aid a very appropriate option. Another resource to contact is the Florida Pro Bono Resource Center.
  2. Regarding public assistance and medical benefits, the quickest and most straightforward way to address these needs is through the facility where you brother currently resides. Specifically, ask to speak with a social worker. These folks handle such affairs on a daily basis and are your very best resource. For reference, is she would rather do so your mother can also directly contact Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security Disability Insurance.

I hope that this information can point you in the right direction toward some helpful resources. If I can do anything else to help, please let me know. Take care of yourself.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX again for choosing Just Answer™.