How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, My brother (52) was hospitalized on 4/15/08 ...

Customer Question

Hello, My brother (52) was hospitalized on 4/15/08 with a bleed on his brain, had a stroke, is paralyzed on rt side, does not follow verbal command, he is very much out there. He''s on oxygen, has a tracheotomy, and has chronic lung/liver disease. Doctors say healing will take time, weeks if not months, and that we have to be patient, as his condition is serious. His wife can not find help with legal matters, in obtaining legal papers putting her in charge of all his legal matters as they had no living will prior to his stroke. Lawyers want $1,500/$2,000 which they do not have. See they take in $1,100 a month and there''s is a family of 5. Is this not below poverty? What she (we) need is help (pro bono/legal aid)? Something so she can get him on (s.s. disability, medicaid, medicare , ssi)? Financial aid for medical bills. Unemployment reinstated as he only to collect 6 months after 8yrs with the same company. (he was layed off) Who/where/how can we find free legal help asap. Thx. Peggie
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance.

  1. I am truly sorry to hear about your brother. I wish him and your family the best.
  2. With no prior health care power of attorney in place she needs a guardianship.
  3. Depending on the jurisdiction, this may also be known as a conservatorship.
  4. This would enable her to take care of business. I can also address legal help.
  5. If you will please write back with the county and state I will be glad to help out.

If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
LawHelpNow and 11 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Columbia county, fla
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 7 years ago.

Hello again and thanks for writing back. I will gladly offer some additional information.

  1. I realize that legal costs are substantial, but it would be ideal if your mother could consult a local licensed attorney with experience in such matters. One idea is that she could obtain a half-hour consultation for $25 through the Florida Bar Lawyer Referral Service. This would at least be a good start to get some practical guidance. Another important service to contact would be Florida Legal Aid, which would be Three Rivers Legal Services for Columbia County. Your mother's limited financial resources, coupled with the nature of the legal matter (guardianship) would make legal aid a very appropriate option. Another resource to contact is the Florida Pro Bono Resource Center.
  2. Regarding public assistance and medical benefits, the quickest and most straightforward way to address these needs is through the facility where you brother currently resides. Specifically, ask to speak with a social worker. These folks handle such affairs on a daily basis and are your very best resource. For reference, is she would rather do so your mother can also directly contact Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security Disability Insurance.

I hope that this information can point you in the right direction toward some helpful resources. If I can do anything else to help, please let me know. Take care of yourself.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX again for choosing Just Answer™.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.