Lawgirl, Lawyer
Experience:  I am an attorney familiar with the above-stated subject matter.

I am a cosigner on a vehicle loan. The primary ...

I am a cosigner on a vehicle loan.   The primary borrower is in default of the loan.   What rights do I have to take possession of the vehicle? If I have none, what documents need to be signed by the primary borrower for me to obtain legal ownership of the vehicle?
Expert:  Lawgirl replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question. As a co-signer on the loan, you have the ability to take back the vehicle. You may want to warn the primary borrower that you are going to do this; however, you have the right to take the car. If you are planning to get rid of the vehicle, you may need the primary borrower to sign over the title, if you are not listed on it. You can request that the vehicle be repossessed by the lender; however, this could reflect negatively on your credit.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Lawgirl's Post: 1. If I am on the title/registration with the primary borrower do I still need to have them sign it over?
Expert:  Lawgirl replied 8 years ago.

If you are planning to dispose of the vehicle, the title may require execution by both people on the title.

Good Luck!