rvlaw
rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.
3071004

Are printed signatures considered legally binding

Are printed signatures considered legally binding? Considering sometimes people just sign with an "X" I was curious why we would not accept a printed signature.
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

If it is intended to be the person's signature, then is it binding. Intention is the key.....that's why an X can qualify if the intention is there, but it may have to be proved if the "signer" disputes it.

Rich

This is information only, NOT legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been created. Consult an attorney in your state for legal advice regarding your issue

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to rvlaw's Post: Im not sure what intention means in this situation. If intention is always considered subjective, how can it ever be binding?
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

I'm sorry. If the printed signature was made by the person whose name it is....intention is presumed.

Rich