How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to file a sentence modification in IDOC

Resolved Question:

No Comment Added
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What city and state do you live in? (i.e. do you mean Idaho Department of Corrections? or Iowa? or Indiana?, etc.)
-What country do you live in?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I live in Tippecanoe County, Lafayette, IN.
The shooting occurred in a house I own in Delphi, IN. My son is an inmate in Indiana Department of Corrections.

I hired 4 attorneys to attempt to keep his son, and get visitation rights for myself. I also hired E. Kent Moore of Lafayette, IN as defense attorney due to Patrick F. Manahan was court-appointed, and then became the attorney for Michea Knonth, the boy at the party, my son would not give up his name. He has already been on the news with my son, and then took on Michea's case as well.

I had to file bankruptcy to pay for my son's legal defense. Due to Patrick doing this.

I turned him and the prosecutor, Robert Ives in
for illegal practice. However, the state did not seem to agree with that.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I would like to know how to file a sentence modification without hiring outside counsel due to lack of funds. If we could file one ourselves and file it with Carroll County Courts, Delphi, IN.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I live in Tippecanoe County, Lafayette, IN 47905
Where I would have to file the sentence modification would be in Carroll County, IN 46923.

Is this possible to do without hiring private counsel?
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance.

  1. Sentence modifications in Indiana are controlled by statute. There is a one year time limit from the date of sentencing to file a sentence modification without first securing the prosecutor's consent to the filing. If filed in the first year, the statute provides the right to a hearing and discourages Judges from summarily denying those petitions. Within the first year, most Judges will accept the filing, but depending on the length of sentence remaining, set the hearing out months or even years out to see how the Defendant does in custody. Prison conduct records are the key to any successful modification. A clean record will often result in favorable treatment from the Court, whereas with lots of conduct write ups an inmate might as well forget it.
  2. Once you are outside of the first year, you can still file a modification request, but the Prosecutor and State have the unlimited ability to seek the dismissal or denial of same just by asking. It is wise to call the Prosecutor ahead of time if you're outside the first year to "test the waters" in regard to a modification. There's no sense going through the time and expense if the State is going to request summary dismissal anyway. Consent of the State is not required in the first year, but is practically required after that time period. Once the petition is filed, you can also get the Court to issue an order requiring the Indiana Department of Corrections (IDOC) to supply an inmate conduct record for the Court's review.
  3. A sentence modification is a form of post-conviction relief. You will definitely be facing an uphill battle without assistance of counsel. The State of Indiana provides very little in the way of resources, although here are forms with instructions for post-conviction relief. If you have concerns that your son's civil rights have been violated (which it certainly sounds as if you do), I would also urge you to contact the ACLU of Indiana and the Civil Rights Division of the United States Department of Justice.

If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
LawHelpNow and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.