Ask NO LEGAL ADVICE WAS GIVEN BY ME Your...

NO LEGAL ADVICE  WAS GIVEN BY ME
NO LEGAL ADVICE WAS GIVEN BY ME, N/A
Experience:  All information given by me was for ENTERNTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY -No legal Advice was provided.
9218860

is smell probable cause to search your house for marijuana

No Comment Added
Expert:  NO LEGAL ADVICE WAS GIVEN BY ME replied 6 years ago.
I assume you mean the odor of marijuana? Yes, that is probable cause because the police are trained to know exactly what that odor is. This actually just happened to a foreclosed home in my area. All it took was the odor of the plants, not even smoked yet, just the odor of the plants led to a big drug arrest.

If you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Your Just Answer Expert,

VRJ

NO LEGAL ADVICE WAS GIVEN BY ME, N/A
Experience: All information given by me was for ENTERNTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY -No legal Advice was provided.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to VRJones's Post: cops were at my house for a robbery and said they smelled it outside my house..but never saw anything
Many times police officers will not see anything, especially with pot plants. These are normally hidden away under some type of heating lamp. It does not matter if the police came for another reason, they noticed the odor, and that is all it takes. I hope you were not the one whose house they entered, but if you are, my apologies, they can do so. Even in CA where growing pot for medicinal use is legal, federal agents (The Federal government treats any possession of marijuana as illegal) have been known to bust the shops and even the users home using probable cause of odor/smell/sense. I would start looking for other defenses other than unlawful entry.

If this was your house, keep in mind that charges are normally based on the amount they found, and if they an establish you had an intent to sell, it gets quite serious then. Probably not what you want to hear, so in turn, you probably are not happy with my answer, which in turns means you may not accept it. I fully understand. Please know I do not make the laws.

Your Just Answer Expert,

VRJ

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes i do not accept the answer..they got about 60 grams and paraphenalia so im not sure what will happen
Okay. Fair enough. I appreciate your candor. You won't accept questions when the law is not favorable to you. I am curious if you feel I should change the law, or what it is I need to do make you want to accept my answer? As you may know, when you do not accept, I do not get paid my share of your deposit, and your deposit stays in just answer's account (held for you).

You may also want to know that under just answers policies, if you are not satisfied with an expert's answer, you may request a refund of your deposit. I don't have any control over customer deposits; I can only hope my customer's accept my work based on my knowledge of the law, and the time I spend working with each customer to provide accurate information.

I wish you the best, XXXXX XXXXX the law is more favorable to you next time.

Again, I appreciate your candor. Very much so.

VRJ