rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.

What is the penalty for dognapping

My son was supposed to feed my dogs while I was in the hospital but he took them and will not tell me where they are and I do not have his new address to have him served with a warrant.

Hi mom,

What state are you in? And in case the state does not have a specific dognapping would fall under "larceny" which is often separated by the value of what is stolen. Difficult question....value of the puppy?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to rvlaw's Post: Georgia and there are 2 dogs involved

There is no dognapping under the animals section of the code.There is a "theft of livestock" in criminal but it does NOT apply to dogs. So the general Theft provision controls:

16-8-2. Theft by taking

A person commits the offense of theft by taking when he unlawfully takes or, being in lawful possession thereof, unlawfully appropriates any property of another with the intention of depriving him of the property, regardless of the manner in which the property is taken or appropriated.

§ 16-8-12. Penalties for violation of Code Sections 16-8-2 through 16-8-9

(a) A person convicted of a violation of Code Sections 16-8-2 through 16-8-9 shall be punished as for a misdemeanor except:

(1) If the property which was the subject of the theft exceeded $500.00 in value, by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten years or, in the discretion of the trial judge, as for a misdemeanor;

This is information only, NOT legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been created. Consult an attorney in your state for legal advice regarding your issue.