Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
3396227

How long do I have to store someones personal property

I have a friend who recently terminated our friendship. He moved to an apartment and asked if he could store his lawn mower, weed wacker, video camera, books, and photography backgrounds at my home. I have notified him via email and phone that he needs to make other arrangements for his things. How long must I hold onto them before I can sell/throw his things away?

DearCustomer- Assuming he is not paying you to store the items this would not qualify as a bailment situation and is merely a favor you are doing. Therefore you have no obligation to store his items. From practical standpoint I would send him a certified letter stating that you intend to dispose of the items on (give a date) and that he is welcome to make arrangements to retrieve them before that date.

If he doesn't show then you can get rid of the stuff. If he sues you you will have the return receipt from the certified letter as proof that he was given ample notice that you were going to remove the items.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Well, I'm happy with that answer, but the card it wants to charge the $15 to no longer exists - how may I change the payment information to another card?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Oh - wait - found it! Very happy with that answer - Thank you! :)
No problem and thanks for using our service. - Dave Kennett