Leslie D.
Leslie D., Attorney
Experience:  Five years of experience in private practice. Experience in family law and civil litigation.
8605905

What is the statue of limitations in Ohio If a judgement ...

What is the statue of limitations in Ohio? If a judgement has been awarded is there any recourse?

HelloCustomer

I have a few questions which will help me to provide you with a complete answer.

- What statute of limitations are you looking for? What type of action are you hoping to take? For example, there are different statutes of limitations for the filing to different actions, motions, etc.

- Has the judgment been awarded against you? What kind of recourse are you hoping to take? Do you want to have the judgment overturned, etc.

Thanks,

Leslie

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The judgement has been awarded against me. The fees started in 1995 with no payments made.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The judgement has been awarded against me in 2008 for fees beginning in 1995. Has the statue of limitations run out?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I want the judgement over turned.

Pursuant to Ohio Revised Code section 2325.18, in order to revive a judgment, an action must be filed within ten years from the date on which the judgment became dormant.

A judgment in Ohio becomes dormant when an execution is not taken on it or a certificate of judgment is not filed within five years from the date of the judgment. So, if neither of these things were done, the judgment would have become dormant five years after the judgment was first rendered in 1995. This would mean that the judgment would have become dormant in 2000. The judgment could then be revived for ten years after the judgment became dormant, allowing the judgment to be revived until 2010. So, the statute of limitations in this case did not run out.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If this answers your question, please click "accept" so I may receive credit for my answer.

Thanks,

Leslie