Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Experienced attorney; contracts, internet, business, finance, employment, RE, consumer, & more.

I own a small promotions Co. I promote an annual ...

I own a small promotions Co. I promote an annual Christmas gift show with 140 exhibitors. The location of the event is the King Co. Fairgrounds and has always been owned by King Co. However, the city of Enumclaw recently bought the F.G. and although one of the old managers remains, the city is now in charge. For 8 years I have rented two buildings at the F.G. Here''s the issue, although I have a contract for the dec.08 show, the city manger decided that he is only going to rent me 1 building rather than 2. He has rented the 2nd build. to a gymn. school. and is unwilling to have them move their equip. out for my event. He said "Im very sorry but I''m not going to rent it to you." I said that he already to rent it to me and that''s what the contract meant. He said he had an exit clause in the contract. I couldn''t find any clause in the contract. At this point I don''t want to have event, I want to be compensated for all of the money spent and that I''m going to lose. What advice can you give?
Expert:  Jane T (LLC) replied 8 years ago.

If your contract does not, in fact, have an "exit" clause in it, then the FG would be in breach of the contract and you can pursue damages caused by that breach. If your contract runs for more than 2 years (which you say after that point they will no longer have events) then you may also have to be compensated for the costs of finding other locations after that 2 year period.

Where contracts are concerned, it is always best to have an attorney review the contract. Often, things such as "exit" clauses or what have you may not be clear to persons not in the legal profession. Also, the attitude of the person you describe seems to be that as a manager he has ultimate say on everything, so, you may need to hire an attorney to review the contract to see what your agreement is and then to discuss the situation with him, particularly if he has breached the contract, to see if anything can be negotiated for your benefit.