Amy Hightower
Amy Hightower, Lawyer.
Experience:  13 years legal experience.
9148881

I am in contempt of the divorce decree due to lack of

Customer Question

I am in contempt of the divorce decree due to lack of payment of child support. because I took a risk of changing careers a year ago. To which it has not paid out.
Expert:  Amy Hightower replied 8 years ago.
Customer

I would be glad to assist you if possible. What is your question?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am in contempt of the hamilton county court divorce decree due to non payment of child support. I am $10,000. behind. I need to know what I should do.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Amy Hightower's Post: what should I do.
Has there been a hearing? Did you attend? If not, how did you find out you were in contempt?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Amy Hightower's Post: I know that I have I am behind and My ex wife knows I am behind, She has threatened me several times. I know that she will file for the contempt.

Contempt is not automatic, although if you are not making a significant effort to clear up any arrears, it will more likely than not happen if she takes you back to court. It is usually within the judges discretion. If you begin to pay your arrearages down now, if you ex does decide to take you back to court, you will be able to show the judge you are making an effort to comply with the courts original order. Getting a second job is a big sacrifice and will go a long way in proving your sincerity. If you are in fact behind on the court ordered child support, there is not way of getting out of it other than to pay it. It will be up to the judge whether or not to find you in contempt and to decide what your punishment will be as a result.

I hope this information was helpful. Best Wishes.

Please click "accept" so I can be paid for my time. Thanks.