Bill F.
Bill F., Paralegal
Experience:  State Paralegal - 10 Years Hands on Legal Experience

My daughter has been noitified that her personal ...

My daughter has been noitified that her personal identifible information is about to be released by the University of Arizona that she attended. This is in response to a subpoena they received from the RIIA. Is it costly to file a motion to quash this subpoena in federal court given the wide amount of legal challenges being mounted against the RIIA or are best to simply pay the "ransom''?
Expert:  Bill F. replied 8 years ago.

It is a very expensive process to fight a civil suit like this. A woman who recently tried to challenge a RIIA for illegal downloading lost and spent over $125,000 just on attorney's fees. Many campuses are now trying to combat the RIAA rights with that of the students and part of that is giving the RIAA access to the transfers of data that were done on and through their web servers (which per the agreement your daughter probably clicked ok to when she started using the schools servers for internet access).

So if your daughter has ever (even once) downloaded a song, movie, etc. improperly, it is cheaper to pay the fee for copyright violation then to try to fight a suit.

Sorry. Good luck. If you have any other related questions please let me know. If you found this answer helpful please accept so I can continue to help others like you in the future. Thank you.