Dan, Retired JD
Experience:  Retired attorney, general practice, with an additional background in financial planning,

As a home owner can Iraffle off my house If so. what steps ...

As a home owner can Iraffle off my house? If so. what steps do I need to take? I live in colo.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 years ago.

No - due to the anti-gambling laws (and raffles are considered a form of gambling) raffles are allowed only by qualifying non-profit entities, and even then they must register with the state to get a license to conduct a raffle if they are going to go about it legally.

(For a big deal like a house raffle, I'd follow the rules as the advertising that must be done to draw enough ticket buyers to assure success will also draw the attention of the authorities as well. It's not like a quilt raffle at the local church where no one will notice or care that they didn't file for the appropriate permits.)

The rules are very stringent, and even when they non-profits do house raffles it appears that more frequently than not they end up having to be withdrawn and the moneys returned because not enough tickets were sold to cover the house.

The penalties for illegal raffles can be quite severe, in part because even every sale of a single ticket is considered to be a separate infraction of the law.

I understand that you are just looking for a creative way to move your house when the market is depressed and there is not an abundance of buyers, but this is not going to end up being the solution for you.

I hope this has been helpful. Let me know if you have any followup questions. If none, please remember to click on the ACCEPT link so that I may receive credit for working on this topic with you. (I'd greatly appreciate it!)

Thank you,

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

PS: If an answer appears to you to have been very helpful, or to have taken above average expertise, and/or research, or if the answer shows an above average amount of time and dedication devoted to your issue, a bonus is nice way to say "Thank you". Thanks!