Bill F.
Bill F., Paralegal
Experience:  State Paralegal - 10 Years Hands on Legal Experience
3082840

my ex husband defaulted on our joint irs bill from 1998 and ...

my ex husband defaulted on our joint irs bill from 1998 and 99. i have been paying my installments. when he defaulted, a new agreement was negotiated, i have been paying since, the irs has kept any refubds if he has filed. it says in divorce decree he is responsible for 50% of entire debt. can i file a civil lawsuit against him for half of this debt, approximately 15k?
Expert:  Bill F. replied 8 years ago.

You can go back to court (family court) and get a motion and judgment from the court since he is in contempt of court by not following the divorce decree and that would save you from having to do a civil suit. The family attorney who handled your divorce can file this motion for you

Good luck. If you have any other related questions please let me know. If you found this answer helpful please accept so I can continue to help others like you in the future. Thank you.