rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.

if I changed attorneys with attorney # XXXXXs knowledge ...

if I changed attorneys with attorney # XXXXX knowledge and told attorney # XXXXX that it was an attorney referral but attorney # XXXXX refuses to pay attorney # XXXXX a referral fee b/c one of my family members used attorney #2 and that attorney # XXXXX did not file any paperwork or know personally attorney # XXXXX , would this be the correct etiquette? attorney # XXXXX is a friend of mine..
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

It's not a question of etiquette. Each attorney is entitled to be paid for the work he/she performed on the case based on the time and effort put in and the effect the work had on the final outcome. If the attorneys can't agree, NY has an arbitration procedure in place for attoreneys to resolve fee disputes,