Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

can a neighbor just arbritraryly cut down shrubs, trees, ...

can a neighbor just arbritraryly cut down shrubs, trees, flowers etc.,that hang over unto thier property. keeping in mind that they do not obstruct anything as far as persons or sight.
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
The neighbor has the right of "self-help" and can trim anything which overhangs onto their property line, regardless if it does not obstruct their view.

The neighbor cannot go beyond their property line. Further, the neighbor can be liable for negligence if their exercise of self-help has destroyed or damaged the rest of your trees, shrubs, flowers etc... So even though the neighbor can trim, the neighbor owes the owner a duty of care.

Here is a discussion of these rights for Massachusettes with law citation.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research/educational use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.