Amy Hightower
Amy Hightower, Lawyer.
Experience:  13 years legal experience.

I was let go from my job in Georgia recently.

I was "let go" from my job in Georgia recently. The reason given was the number of missed days due to illness. I suffer from cronic bladder infections and episodes are very painful. Is this a valid reason for being fired? Of course they made some verbal mention of lack of performance on the job, but nothing has ever been documented to that affect.

Unfortunately, Georgia is an employment at will state. This basically means that absent an employment contract for a specific period of time, an employee can be fired for any cause at all, as long as it is not an illegal or discriminatory cause. Letting some one go due to missed days from illness is perfectly legal in Georgia and it happens all the time. I'm sorry this has happened to you and I hope you get better soon.

If this information has been helpful to you please click "accept" so I can be paid for my time.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Amy Hightower's Post: So I should assume since I've been let go for "cause" it may affect my eligibility for unemployment?

Not necessarily. That will depend upon how your employer words your severance and whether or not they choose to object to your filing for unemployment. People get unemployment benefits all the time after being fired for absences due to illness.