Mr Lofton
Mr Lofton, Lawyer.
Experience:  30 years of experience as a counselor and trial lawyer

Do I have to pay a months rent because i didnt ...

Customer Question

Do I have to pay a months rent because i didn''t give 30 day''s written notice to manager,I was out of state and gave verbal notice by phone.I had a 6 month lease and stayed 6 months.My job ended,I moved out of state,and didn''t need the Apt.
Expert:  Mr Lofton replied 8 years ago.
First read the lease and what does it say about notice by you to leave? If it has to be in writing and has to be given before a certain date and you didn't do it, then landlord can come after you for the rent. On the other hand, lanlord has to "mitigate" his damages - this means that if landlord promptly re-rents your apartment he then has to deduct that new rent from what you owe him. He cannot collect two rents for one place. If it works for you, just give him a new written notice that does comply with th e lease terms and stay another month. All the best,