rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.

I am being suied for not paying a divorce lawyer( I did pay ...

I am being suied for not paying a divorce lawyer( I did pay him and asked to represent myself because he was lazy and could show no work) but he has padded his bill and showed up in court with a partial bill. Is that acceptable for someone to show up in court with a partial bill and the suit remain valid?
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

The suit may remain but if he can't prove his entire bill he can only POTENTIALLY recover for the charges he does present. It would be great for you as the defendant if you had notes of the alleged conversations or other activity claimed to contradict what he says he is owed. If you have no notes, go over his bill carefully and be prepared to testify that particular charges are padded and/or didn't happen. Ultimate action you can take is threaten to report him to the state bar...that often causes a guy like that to back down.

Jerome E. Larkin
Illinois Attorney Registration and
Disciplinary Commission
130 East Randolph Street, Suite 1500
Chicago, ILNNN-NN-NNNNbr />312/565-2600; 800/826-8625
FAX: 312/565-2320