David Coleman
David Coleman, Lawyer
Experience:  BEc(SocSci). LLB (Usyd) - 5 years of Work Experience

If unmarrieds sign a contract as part of Workmans Comp ...

If unmarrieds sign a contract as part of Workmans Comp for a business and then split up before busniess is up and running, what are legal ramifications for each
Expert:  David Coleman replied 8 years ago.

How long had they been together?

Were they living together?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to XXXXX XXXXX's Post: They lived together off and on for three years. Were living together when signed contract last week but she seems to have left for good.

Dear Sir,

This type of relationship would normally be dealt with in the same manner as any other type of commercial contract. Because there is no legal marriage, and it appears that there is not defacto (depending on the laws of the state which they reside in), this would simply be a commercial contract between two parties not influenced by their arrangements in terms of a relationship. Once you have agreed to a contract and signed it, you are generally bound by its terms and conditions. I hope that this information helps. If you can tell me which state the contract was made in, I can be more specific about the law which would apply in their situtation. I will wait to hear from you. I hope that this information is helpful.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
They live in New York State