David Coleman
David Coleman, Lawyer
Experience:  BEc(SocSci). LLB (Usyd) - 5 years of Work Experience
8536376

can I get an annulment

Customer Question

I am married and in the US Army ive been married seince aug 26 2006. We are both not happy and i was drunk at the time of the wedding.. we have no kids or assit togeather can i get an annulment or what should i do.. And iam deployed to Iraq right now..
Expert:  David Coleman replied 8 years ago.

Dear Sir,

Annulment in Michigan is quite complicated and only occurs in rare circumstances, divorce is much more common because it is a much easier process. Annulment is a legal decree declaring a marriage void. After annulment both the spouses can remarry. The grounds for annulment in michigan are:

- Bigamy (person already married) or Existence of a Prior Marriage

- Mental Illness: Partial or complete mental illness is a valid annulment ground according to Michigan annulment laws. It is illegal to marry a mentally disabled person.

- Physical Disability: In some cases, if your spouse has a physical disability which is adversely affecting your married life, you can get your marriage annulled in Michigan.

- Venereal Disease: If your spouse is infected with a sexually transmittable genital disease, you can obtain annulment under Michigan annulment laws.

Given the circumstances you have described, divorce sounds like a much better option. Michigan is a "no-fault" divorce state which means that the marriage is dissolved due to 'Irretrievable Breakdown of the Marriage'. It means that there has been a breakdown of the spousal relationship to such a degree that the matrimony has been totally finished, both you and spouse are entitled to obtain divorce under this divorce ground in Michigan. Judges require only a presentation of this declaration, details aren't important.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

XXXXX XXXXX