LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

what is the age a child can choose to stop visitation ...

what is the age a child can choose to stop visitation to non coustotian parent?
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What city and state do you live in?
-What country do you live in?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Goshen,Ohio in Clermont County USA.We have not done any thing yet.wanting to know the child rights first. She is almost 10yrs

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance. I apprecite your sending in the additional information, which was helpful to my analysis of your inquiry.

Ohio law does not specify an age at which a child may choose his or her own living arrangements. Rather, the court looks at the custody issue on a case-by-case basis, and custody determination is based on a number of factors, including:

* the wishes of the child's parents;
* the wishes of the child;
* the child's relationship with parents, siblings, and any other person who may significantly affect the child's best interest;
* the child's adjustment to home, school and community;
* the mental and physical health of all those involved;
* the parents' likelihood of honoring and facilitating court-approved parenting time rights or visitation and companionship rights;
* failure of either parent to make any past child support payments;
* either parent's previous conviction or guilty plea for a criminal offense involving an abused or neglected child or domestic violence, or evidence that either parent has acted in a way that resulted in a child's abuse or neglect;
* denial by either parent of the other parent's right to parenting time;
* either parent's establishment of a residence, or a plan to move, outside the state.

The court is not allowed to give a parent preference because of that parent's financial status.

As always with regard to children, the court must determine what is in the child's best interest. The child's living arrangement preference is only one of many factors that may be considered by the court in determining what is in the child's best interest. A parent may ask the court to interview the child to find out the child's preference, and the court may decide to permit such an interview. The interview is not done in open court, but rather, in the judge's or magistrate's chambers. The child meets with the judge or magistrate and other court personnel as appropriate, but the child's parents are not present at the meeting.

The court (judge or magistrate) will first determine the reasoning ability of the child. If the court determines the child does not have sufficient reasoning ability, then the child will not be asked his or her wishes with regard to custody. If the court decides the child does have sufficient reasoning ability, the court must then decide if there are any special circumstances that would suggest the child's wishes should not be considered. Assuming the child has sufficient reasoning ability and there are no special circumstances, the court will then ask the child about his or her own wishes regarding custody.

Does the court always follow the child's wishes? Not necessarily. The court still must determine whether it is in that child's best interest for custody to be granted to the parent chosen. The court also must consider many other factors to determine what is in the child's best interest. The wishes of an older, more mature child are often weighed very heavily unless there is a negative reason why the child prefers one parent over the other (e.g., lax rules or supervision, substance abuse issues, etc.).

If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.