Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

Does Nevada have a Buyers Remorse Law

No Comment Added
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

In Nevada the buyer's remorse laws are only limited to door-to-door sales on certain purchases. There is no remorse protection on new or used vehicle purchases.

This is regulated by the State Attorney General of Nevada. Below is what their consumer protection unit states on buyer remorse laws.

Many consumers believe they have a "cooling-off period" after they sign a contract, that they have the option of changing their mind a few days after signing a contract. But, as a general rule, a signed contract cannot be cancelled. You cannot cancel a contract simply because you have changed your mind. One of the few exceptions is Door-to-Door Sales. Under Nevada law, if a consumer buys an item at their residence or at a location that is not the seller's permanent place of business, the consumer does have the right to change his or her mind. The coolingoff period for a door-to-door sale allows the consumer to cancel the contract and receive a full refund, if the consumer does so before the third business day following the sale. Nevada's Door-to-Door Sales
statute requires the salesperson, at the time of sale, to inform the consumer about his cancellation rights.

The salesperson must also provide a cancellation form and a copy of the contract or receipt. The contract or receipt should be dated, show the name and address of the seller, and explain the right to cancel.

There are some types of sales that cannot be cancelled, even if they occur at the consumer's residence. Nevada's Door-to-Door Sales law does not apply to sales that:

* Are under $25;

* Are for goods or services not primarily intended for personal, family or household purposes;

* Are made entirely by mail or telephone;

* Are the result of prior negotiations at the seller's permanent business location where he regularly sales goods;

* Are needed to meet an emergency; or

* Are made as part of the consumer's request for the seller to do repairs or maintenance on the consumer's personal property;

Also exempt from Nevada's Door-to-Door Sales law are sales that involve real estate, insurance,securities, automobiles, mobile homes, or the provision of utility services.
If the consumer cancels the purchase, the seller has ten days to cancel and return any negotiable instrument signed by the consumer, refund the consumer's money, and return any trade-in. Within 20 days, the seller must either pick up the items left with the consumer, or reimburse the consumer for mailing expenses. If the seller does not provide instructions on how to return the goods or pick them up within the twenty days, the consumer may retain or dispose of the items without any further obligation.

The law allows the seller to assess a cancellation penalty, not to exceed five percent of the total purchase price, $15, or any down payment paid by the buyer at the time the contract was entered into, whichever is the less.

For more information on this and other consumer matters, contact the Bureau of Consumer Protection Division at(NNN) NNN-NNNN or contact the Attorney General's office statewide by calling Nevada's toll free switch board at 1-800-992-0900. Consumer protection information can be found on the Attorney General's Web site.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator