Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

Do I have to change my state residency

No Comment Added
Expert:  Ray replied 8 years ago.
No one can make you change your residency. In general residency consists of an address, and your intentions. in other words if you register to vote, rent of buy a house, etc. No one thing determines it but the law looks at what your actions indicate. You could for instance be temporarily employed in say Nevada but still have a house in California, registered to vote there, registered your cars there, you a resident of California by the sum of your actions and intentions. Thanks for your question and I hope that this gives you some ideas in the matter..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RayAnswers's Post: So the reason why im here is bc my boyfriend is in the military and we are renting here (ca) and our car is regiser here (ca) but everything else is in ID and when he gets out we plan to more back. So then do I have to get a CA drivers licence or is that up to me?
Expert:  Ray replied 8 years ago.
You would probably be better off claiming home state residency because the state income tax is tough in California. The problem is that unless you are identified as a military dependent and maybe you are at some point going to have to register as a California resident. You run into problems if you get pulled over, or you need to cash a check or some other reasons you might have to become a resident. I wouldn't be in a hurry to become a California resident because of the cost of being a resident. If you can continue in no-mans land so to speak hopefully if you still have a valid address on your license parent's house or whatever you will be fine. Just don't admit to living in California if issues arise you are just visiting your boyfriend. Thanks for your question and I hope this gives you some ideas..