Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

if a deceased spouse leaves his fortune to his surviving s

Customer Question

Mt Father just passed away last week, I have not lived around then for over 30 years, because of my job and multiple transfere. he left his vast estate to my mother in the form of a trust. because my brother has already recieved he family business, the original home and land which was three generations old. i am worried that my mother will decide to leave him everyrhing and leave myself and my sons out completely, Is this a possibility ?
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- Unless your mother dies without a will you have no legal right to inherit if her will leaves everything to someone else. Your father also had the right to exclude you from his will since a spouse is the only person with a right to a share regardless of the will. If your mother dies without a will and is not re-married then you could inherit pursuant to the laws of intestate succession.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law