Justice For All
Justice For All, Attorney at Law, JD
Experience:  Over 8 years of legal experience /family law, general practice, and criminal defense.
7902899

Hello - I was in California and had a fight with my wife in ...

Hello - I was in California and had a fight with my wife in 1999. Thereafter I pled guildy to a misdemeanor and went to classes, etc. Was on "probabation" for about three years. The California judge closed my case at the end of this. Can I buy/own firearms in the state of Florida?
Expert:  Justice For All replied 8 years ago.

Between federal and state laws, persons in Florida cannot legally purchase firearms if they have been convicted of a felony; are under indictment for a felony; had adjudication withheld on a felony, unless three years have elapsed since probation or other conditions set by the court have been fulfilled; have been adjudicated as mentally defective; received a dishonorable discharge from the Armed Forces; are an alien illegally in the U.S.; are an unlawful user or addicted to controlled substances; or are a fugitive from justice.

In addition, if there is a domestic violence injunction on file against the prospective purchaser, and they have had notice of a hearing and an opportunity to attend, the purchase of a firearm will not be approved.

If your misdemeanor was labeled as domestic violence, which can be found out by getting a copy of it from California, then you would not be able to purchase a firearm in Florida.

Please don't forget to ACCEPT so that I may be compensated for my time.

Jennifer