truthfinder, Truth Finder
Experience:  I'm a straight forward person w/ a professional manner & drive to find the truth!

If someone files a restraining order on you and

Customer Question

If someone files a restraining order on you and you leave town to get away from them, yet they continue to contact you, can you get in trouble for responding as long as this response is professional?
Expert:  truthfinder replied 8 years ago.

Yes, you can be arrested. The best and legal option is to notify the police & court where the order was issued where they live. Depending on what state this is in you may be able to get a restraining order against them for harassment and their's could be dropped due to the violations they have committed.

Read HERE.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm in California. If I show these hostile texts to the authorities will they have mercy seeing I have not said anything hostile?

There is always a "possibility" that an officer or judge will be lenient and dismiss the charges or lessen the penalty; but by the terms of the RO, you are in violation. It can be argued that at the first sign of contact you should have notified the police and the court....but that doesn't meant that they WILL charge you, just saying it is the law.

The best thing to do with those texts are to use them to get a Restraining Order issued against the other person through the links I sent you before you can read more on the Civil Harassment order as well as getting those forms HERE. You may also have a small claims suit against them for the harassment where you can seek monetary damages (especially if you are arrested due to them breaking the order that was issued to protect them); for more on small claims issues in your state go HERE (you do not have to have an attorney to file this type of case.