dkennedy, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Juris Doctorate Degree

levy on my bank account

Customer Question

i was told by my bank there was a levy on my account i called the number they gave me they told me i had an at&t account in 02 the account was sold to pallisades collection then obtained by a lawyer i asked them for all the doocuments pertaining to this they refused they told me to go to the civil court and obtain them i asked why did i never recieve any summons or court papers they said in april of 06 some one claiming to be mr franco accepted the papers they said he was a dark skinned male about 5''10 21-30 i am a very light skinned male 6''2.5 i never recived any papers i am the only male that has ever lived in my household what can i do about this can i hire a lawyer is any part of this illegal they also did not wish to let me off the phone at all when i informed them i would investigate it first and contact a lawyer they just kept sayin were trying to help you and tryin to keep throwing options at me please help
Expert:  dkennedy replied 8 years ago.

I have found in my experience that many times these "collection" places do not really deliver any papers to anyone. They just hope you will not investigate or fight the judgment. Go to the courthouse where the judgement was issued, if there really was one. They have to have "proof of service" in the court file and often it is bogus. Find out what is going on. If they have lied about serving you the papers and got a default judgment, you can file a Motion to Set Aside the Judgment and tell exactly why. They (the court) may set up a hearing. You can then explain the whole story to the judge.

I hope this has been helpful to you.